5.08.2013

Freezing Meat in Bags

I think I'll add occasional posts about my money saving tips.

As far as buying meats goes, there are lots of things I could say, but one thing I do is put my meat in individual bags. If a recipe calls for something, I grab my bag from the freezer, thaw it, and that is all I use, no matter how much the recipe calls for. Cooking lets you do that and we don't notice a difference!

Chicken breast - one chicken breast per bag. I know it sounds crazy, but just about all my meals that call for chicken, I just use one chicken breast for our whole family of 4. When I've cooked at my parents, I'll use 2, and that is for 5 adults and 2 children. You can do it!

Ground beef - I put a little less than 1 lb per bag. If I buy a 5 lb chub, I'll divide it into 6 bags so I'm able to get one whole additional meal just by taking a little off everyone's lb. :) And yes, it even works for meatloaf! I keep the recipe the same (which I think mine calls for 2 lbs), but only use that much meat and it feeds our family of hungry boys!

Ribs - I think I normally divide them into 1 lb bags. It is usually 4-6 boneless ribs that we'll use for sandwiches, salads, tacos, etc!

I think you get what I'm saying. Buy in bulk, you'll save money; if there is an awesome sale, buy a lot of it! Determine how much you will need for each meal for your family, then put them in bags so they are easy to go to and you won't end up spending more on your meals than you want to!


No comments:

Post a Comment